Saturday, January 12, 2008

PORTSMOUTH(1)

Redknapp Explains Newcastle Rejection
Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp wxplained why he has turned down an offer to take over from Sam Allardyce as Newcastle manager. Redknapp travelled to the north east to hold talks with the clubs' chairman, Chris Mort, but after considering the move overnight, has decided to stay on the south coast.


 
"Obviously it was a difficult one but I'm happy here and I enjoy working at Portsmouth," said the 60-year-old. "People have been good to me here so i would have found it difficult to walk away."

Redknapp revealed that the reason he didn't take the job was that he felt a sense of loyalty to everyone at Pompey.

"I felt a loyalty towards the club and the fans so that was the main part of my decision really," he explained. "And towards the players I've bought in, I've told them it was a good club, I've sold the club to the players..

"People like Sylvan Distan could have gone to Newcastle in the summer but i persuaded him to come here instead so I think he'd have probably looked at me and thought thanks very much, that was clever, so that was the main reason."

The former Bournemouth, Southampton and West Ham manager admitted that he was tempted by the offer.

"Its a fantastic club, Newcastle, a massive club, great support, terrific chairman, the new man there Mike Ashley, the owner. As I say it was difficult but this is where i'm happy so this is where I'm going to stay," he said.

Redknapp also explained that it wasn't the unfamiliarity of the North East or the distance away from his family that made him turn the job down.

"We live here, me and my wife and the grandchildren, but you know I'd have moved up, that wouldn't have been a problem for me and Sandra.

"But I just feel that when people treat me well, the owner treats me well, I get on well with Peter Storrie, the fans have been great to me, I've been good for them, then it makes sense to stay, so I've decided to keep pushing on with Portsmouth."

No comments: